Some work related to my research ...

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Robot Versus Machine

People keep asking me this question all the time. Let me ask it here myself "What is the difference between a robot and a machine?"

At least we all know that a robot is definitely a machine but what is it that differentiates it from other machines?

I am sure there will be many answers to this questions and many of them would be better than the answer that I am going to give here. But in my opinion, a robot is a machine that exhibits certain aspect of sentient behaviour. Let me explain this.  When I say "sentient behaviour", I include the ability to make mistakes as well. So repeatability is not necessarily an important attribute of a robot. So while calculator is a machine it does not manifest any aspect of human behaviour, apart from the ability to compute with higher accuracy. 

Well it is very difficult to draw a very sharp line between a robot and a machine. But it is the behaviour which defines whether a machine is a robot or not. For instance, a camera in itself is a machine but a camera with a built-in face recognition algorithm may be considered as a robot. While machines are the extension of human faculties, robots exhibit behaviours.

To summarize, a machine may be called a robot if it has the following important attributes:
  1. Autonomy: Ability to take decisions without human interference. 
  2. Adaptibility: Ability to adapt to changes in the environment. 
  3. Learning: It should be able to learn on its own and hence its behaviour should improve over time. 
  4. Interact: Interact with other beings and with the environment. 
 These abilities may be available with a varying degree in different machines. In this aspect, we may safely say that a calculator is a simple machine and so is a motor cycle. However, a google car with autonomous navigation ability is a  robot and so is the roomba vacuum cleaner which can the clean the house on its own.


No comments: